What better way to spend 27 days of homelessness than to do it on the road! We are inbetween homes for nearly a month and were already planning a road trip so it “kinda” worked out. The stress of packing our entire home before vacation was not ideal, but living on the road will be a blast.
Our planned journey consists of visiting key U.S. History sites, LDS Church history sites and other fun tourist things along the way. We will travel along the following itinerary.
- Day 1: Utah to Denver
- Day 2: Denver to Kansas City
- Day 3: Liberty Jail and the Independence Temple site, Columbia & St. Charles, MO to visit my old mission areas
- Day 4: More St. Charles, St. Louis and 4th of July at Forest Park and the Arch
- Day 5: Church then drive from St. Louis through Louisville on to Lexington, KY for the night
- Day 6: Lexington on to Williamsburg, VA
- Day 7: Visit Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown then drive up to Washington, D.C.
- Days 8-9: Tour Washington D.C.
- Day 10: A little more Washington D.C. then up to Gettysburg, the Hershey Chocolate Factory, Valley Forge and then into Philadelphia
- Day 11: Hopefully meet up with some friends out here and get in the sights of the city of brotherly love. Of course we have to run up the library steps and make the rocky pose. Maybe I should have my kids watch rocky first 😉 We then head to Long Island that night to see my sister & her family.
- Day 12: We’ll spend a full day and a couple of nights with my sister and her family on Long Island
- Days 13-15: On to the Big Apple! We will stay in Manhattan and take in the sites of the big city for a few days.
- Day 15: We leave the Big Apple and head over to Boston. Hopefully on the way seeing the Mark Twain house.
- Day 16: Plymouth, Cape Cod and into Boston
- Day 17: Boston, Freedom Trail, USS Constitution and on to Palmyra, NY
- Days 18-19: Palmyra, NY, Hill Cumorah Pageant, over to Niagra Falls and down to Kirtland, OH
- Day 20: A quick tour around Kirtland, OH and over to Chicago
- Day 21: A few sites in Chicago and then down to Nauvoo, IL
- Days 22-23: Nauvoo historical sites, Carthage Jail and up to Minneapolis
- Day 24: The Mall of America in Minneapolis and over to Deadwood, SD
- Day 25: Mount Rushmore and then the journey home
This is quite a list and we hope to successfully enjoy and see what we have here on this list. It is going to be quite the adventure!
Follow us on Instagram with #HowlettRT2015